Around the state of Florida, Florida Writers Foundation has helped literacy efforts by partnering with with many dedicated organizations around the state of Florida, including:
- Manatee Literacy Council: Literacy tutoring for adult English speakers and speakers for whom English is a second language
- Page 15: Publication of High School Anthology, 2023 and 2024
- Get Lit! Summer Program 2021: Donations to cover the cost of books given to children.
- Sunshine City Kiwanis: Volunteers and donations of hardcover books to Pinellas County classrooms
- Space Coast Rolling Readers: Volunteers and donations of hardcover books to Title 1 schools throughout Brevard County
- Belleview-Santos Elementary School: Volunteers and support for a 3rd-grade writing contest
- Osceola Publish Schools: Grant to support 6th-grade writing contest
- Sherwood Elementary School: Volunteer reading coach for 4th graders
- Chiles Academy in Daytona Beach: Volunteer reading coaches support and guide pregnant and parenting students with the goal of attaining a high school diploma. Grant to help cover publishing costs of an anthology.
- Sit. Stay. Write: Sally, a trained therapy dog, and her owner, award-winning children’s author Dianne Ochiltree, visit schools and encourage writing by children
- Cross Creek Chronicle: A project in conjunction with Pinellas County Elementary Schools. Children submit works to be included in the annual Cross Creek Chronicle, a published collection of student and teacher stories
- Therapy Dogs International: Members regularly visit libraries and elementary schools focusing on reading skills among the children as part of the “Tail Waggin’ Tutors” program
FWF volunteers have made a difference by visiting elementary schools for reading days, sponsoring poetry contests, donating books to underprivileged schools, and contributing funds to middle school writing contests.
We have made donations of Books, Educational Games, Puzzles, etc. to:
- School classroom libraries
- Public libraries throughout Florida
- The Ronald McDonald House in St. Pete
- Space Coast Women and Children’s Center
- Nursing homes
- Hurricane and flood-damaged areas in Florida and nearby states